Friday, April 18, 2025

6 The Gentle Giant

 

If you stumbled upon this post, reading this introduction might help

 

It was a private concert and they needed someone to play the tamboori. It so happened that a few others who could play were busy with other activities connected with the evening’s function. So, the job landed in my lap. Though I could play the tamboori and was accustomed to sit on the floor cross legged for long periods of time, I had not done the two together in a long time. I had played the Tanpura for another artist at the Mysore palace’s Dasara concert but that was when I was much younger. I had no choice so I accepted with great trepidation though I deemed it a privilege because the evening’s musician was none other than Veene Doreswamy Iyengar – my Guru’s Guru.

The concert went on very well and after about an hour and half or so I started squirming resisting an urge to change position. The maestro turned back towards me and with a gentle understanding smile said, "ಒಂದೇ ತರಹ ಕೂತು ತೊಂದರೆ ಆಗ್ತಿದ್ರೆ, ಬೇರೆ ತರಹ ಕೂತ್ಕೊಳ್ಳಿ. ಪರ್ವಾಗಿಲ್ಲ" (If you are finding it difficult to sit in the same position, change your position. No problem.) I marvelled at the great man’s simplicity and concern. With great relief I changed my position and could play for the remainder of the concert. I bow to him in my mind whenever I remember this.

2 comments:

  1. Informative blog on valve manufacturing and quality standards.
    Electric Valve Actuator Suppliers in China

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic article! The tips you've shared are practical and easy to implement.
    Breather Valve Manufacturer

    ReplyDelete