Saturday, April 24, 2010

Clerihew

I won a book "The Dord the Diglot and an Avocado or Two" by Anu Garg sometime ago and finally got down to reading it seriously. I came across the word Clerihew in it and Wikipedia defines it as:

A clerihew is a whimsical, four-line biographical poem invented by Edmund Clerihew Bentley. The lines are comically irregular in length, and the rhymes, often contrived, are structured AABB. One of his best known is this (1905):

Sir Christopher Wren
Went to dine with some men
He said, "If anyone calls,
Say I'm designing Saint Paul's."

The sub-rule seems to be that the name of the person whose (purported) biographical work it is, appears in the first line.

So I cooked up the following Clerihew.

Mr Shashi Tharoor
Was shown the door
When he played on an unfamiliar wicket,
A game that does not sound quite cricket.

But, one more rule seems to be that it is not satirical. Perhaps mine does not qualify.


2 comments:

  1. And here's one from me:

    I like this blog very much
    Especially posts that amuse and touch
    Although I don't regularly drop a comment
    But I do stop by to read your posts for a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm Thanks Starry-eyed.

    Comment composed like a true lyricist. :-)

    ReplyDelete