Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Courtesy

A few days ago, I returned home, walked in, pushed the wheelchair out to bring my son in. The road being small, I had to block a part of the road. Normally this would not be a problem. But that day there was a large vehicle (Innova?) parked on the other side of the road, a few meters away. This made it difficult for vehicles coming from either direction, almost impossible, to pass us. As soon as I opened the car door, a taxi came, stopped and waited silently. Since my son had not started getting onto the wheelchair, I closed the door shut and let the taxi pass. I was impressed.

Taxi drivers are notorious for their impatience and noisiness. But this one was silent. Great.

After I opened the door again and my son started getting on to the wheelchair, another taxi came. This one too stopped and waited silently. When I could, again, I closed the door and indicated to the driver that he could now pass. He smiled at me and passed. Ah! Good.

As I started pushing the wheelchair, a big car came towards us, honked impatiently, slowed down but moved past us, very close. Close enough to cause some anxiety.

Ah. Big guns, no time for the hoi polloi in an an (six year) old Maruti . . . ?

2 comments:

  1. i feel that those who spend most of their time on the road behave decently and courteously on the road. i have a few good things to say about truck drivers. i will narrate them on my blog one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not everyone is manner less. I'm happy that you encountered good Samaritans especially when you needed to.

    ReplyDelete